Sunday, May 2, 2010

I was totally unprepared for the ending. It surprised me! Is this typical of Kate Chopin? Should I have seen that ending coming? I do remember that Mrs. Siemens asked these questions on our homework pod. The ending of the story is not clear enough but there are some suggestions to it. There is a paragraph where it mentions about Armand Aubigny’s been French. Armand was raised in Paris, where slavery was not known as in Louisiana. Armand was eight when his mom died and he does not remember her in other words he does not remember her having a dark skin it is very possible she had a light skin. Armand he did not know he’s real background; he is of mixed race. Armand did not know about it until he reads the letter.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes... I remember "The Storm". I honestly thought Armand would not send his true love away. I really thought love would prevail and conquer all. Armund had a rude awakening if that was the first time he honestly read the letter his mother written to his father. In a way I believe he may have already read the letter because it was in with all the other love letters sent to him from Desiree. It seemed to me Armand's pride was at stake and would have been damaged if anyone found out the truth about him so in order to save himself he let all the blame fall on Desiree. I could be wrong and that may have been the first time Armand ever read this letter from his mother to his father, but to let someone you love go for this particular reason is insane and pitiful in my eyes. It must not have been love that Armund was feeling for Desiree and his child.

    ReplyDelete